Visit The Netherlands
Whether you are backpacking in the Netherlands or just traveling on a budget, the country’s small size makes it easy to get around. These are 5 things that everyone should do while visiting The Netherlands.
A historical center with 80 kilometer of canals, many bridges, a red light district and many historical houses and buildings from the 17th Century.
Some of my favorite things to do while in Amsterdam are:
- Visit the ‘Rijksmuseum’ where you can find the famous ‘Nachtwacht’ from painter Rembrandt and the ‘Van Gogh museum’ with the biggest collection paintings of the world from the master painter himself.
- Stop by the ‘Anne Frank’ house which shows you how the family was hiding for the Nazi’s during the war and of course where you can see the famous diary that she wrote.
- The big square on ‘The Dam’ and when the Royal family is not in this Palace it’s open to go inside.
- The Red Light District is not only famous for the red colored windows but also for one of the oldest buildings in Amsterdam (from 1300) the ‘Oude Kerk’ (meaning: Old Church).
- Wandering around along the ‘Canals’ (Prinsengracht, Keizersgracht, Herengracht and Singel) and find all these beautiful historical houses and cozy squares. You can also take a boat tour through the canals on various places in the city.
For only 2 months (March 20th till May 20th) each year you can visit this largest flower garden in the world. Because its only 35 kilometer from Amsterdam, it’s easy to reach from your accommodation near the capital.
Our windmills and dykes are famous for a reason. The Dutch people in ancient times were already working together with water for all kind of purposes like agriculture and transport. But if there were no windmills and dykes probably the half of The Netherlands was flooded because the whole country is below sea-level. A lot of the ancient windmills are inhabited.
Some call it ‘Venice from the North’ and when you visit this little town you are definitely want to make a boat ride through the village. There are many different options to go through the canals like organized tours or you can rent your own boat or canoe.
Volendam & Marken
Volendam is a small harbor-village in the North of The Netherlands. If you like to see old fishing boats and traditional Dutch clothing then this is the place to be. Here you can also eat the most fresh Herring or other seafood directly from a stand along the boulevard. From Volendam you can take a ferry to Marken daily. This peninsula in the Markerlake is famous for the characteristic wooden houses and this makes it a great place to visit.
Other places of interest
- Scheveningen (beach)
- Biesbos National Parc (Unesco World Heritage)
Best travel months
Considering the weather, I would say the best travel months to The Netherlands are April, May, June, July and August. These months will have the most pleasant weather but can be touristic and expensive.
The cost of a trip to The Netherlands
The prices for everything depend on location and quality. This means that the more central the location the more expensive it can be.
Beer 3 euro and wine 4.50 euro;
Restaurant prices vary from 15 euro to 50 euro per person for a main course.
Hotel prices vary from 100 to 500 euro per night;
Museum tickets cost around 20 euro per ticket.